Sunday, February 12, 2012

Vegan? Me? Pfffft!

So... I'm doing it!  I'm participating in a 28-day Engine-2 challenge at my local Whole Foods.  Engine 2, simply stated, is fully plant based and limits unnecessary oils (i.e. fats).  The diet/way of life is based on significant scientific study of the diets of different populations and the diseases that they experience throughout the life span. The research shows that populations whose diets are plant based are less likely to experience many forms of cancer, and almost no heart disease.  While I'm not currently at an increased risk for heart disease, I don't ever want to find myself in a place where I am!

So anyway, I decided to give this challenge a try, and I am finding myself LOVING it!  I've been technically pescatarian for a few years, and thought it'd be difficult to give up dairy especially.  I love loved cheese, ice cream and other milk-based products, but I've been completely fine without them!  I've been using some Daiya shredded "cheese" for things like pizza. While it doesn't taste like cheese, I do like the flavor and texture that it does have, so it has been a perfectly fine replacement. 

The best part of the veganism is that I haven't been experiencing the acid reflux that I've been having for the past 5+ years.  I haven't had the feelings of nausea at all, and I can't argue with that!  I've also mysteriously lost 8 pounds in just over two weeks, double win!

And that's all the time I have to procrastinate - time to study!!

No comments:

Post a Comment